Blackberry is looking to add a skilled Fly Fishing Guide to our team. The Fly Fishing Guide is responsible for enhancing Blackberry Farm’s fly fishing program through guest interaction and by providing 5 star service to all guests.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following and other duties as assigned:
Fly fishing guide trips
- Guide guests on a 5 star fly fishing experience
- Assist and instruct guests with choosing a location, navigating unfamiliar water, selection of fly patterns, tying various knots and assist them in the possibility of safely catching and releasing the fish.
Fly fishing instructor
- Teach personalized or group lessons
- Instruct guests how to cast, select fly patterns and tie knots
- Educate guests on safety procedures for both the guests and the fish
- Provide knowledge of tactics applicable to our area.
Fly fishing gear maintenance
- Maintain fly fishing areas by removing debris , leaves and branches
- Maintain functionality of all necessary gear (rod, waders and boots)
- Assist guest with fly fishing knowledge
- Answer general questions regarding the sport
- Help with selecting equipment for purchase
- Provide guests with information regarding fly fishing supplies and gear sold in the Gift Shop
Must comply with all company policies and procedures.
To perform the essential functions of this position, regular and consistent attendance is required.
Must be able to work well with other Team Members, Managers and interact with our guests.
Must have the flexibility to work weekends.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
- 3-5 years experience/ knowledge in fly fishing
- Experience in the Southeast United States
- Experience in the Great Smoky Mountains National Park is preferred
- Must have a valid driver’s license
- Must have excellent communication skills
- Must be able to effectively communicate with guests, team members and managers
- Must interact extensively with guests
- Must be able to resolve any issues regarding guests in relation to the fly fishing program
- Must be able to exercise judgment and make decisions based on job knowledge and awareness of company goals
- Must be able to assess current conditions in order to provide a safe and quality experience
- Must be able to lift up to 50 lbs
- Must be able to be on feet most or all of shift
- Must be able to safely operate a company vehicle or golf cart
- Must be able to work in a demanding guest service environment
- Must be able to work outside in all weather conditions including streams and ponds, 4,200 acres of Blackberry Farm property, and surrounding areas
Blackberry Farm provides a world class hospitality experience for our guests. Our attention to every detail, impeccable service, unique activity offerings and outstanding cuisine have helped Blackberry Farm earn its pedigree as one of the most celebrated small luxury resorts in the world.
- Orvis Endorsed Lodge- Lodge of the Year
- James Beard Award Winner—Best Wine Program
- James Beard Award Winner—Outstanding Service
- Travel & Leisure Magazine-#1 Resort in North America
- Andrew Harper-#1 Food and Wine Resort
- Travel & Leisure Magazine-#1 Service in North America
- 4,200 Acre Working Farm setting the standard for Farm to Table Cuisine
To be a successful member of the Blackberry Farm team, you must be able to work well with other Team Members, Managers and interact with our guests. Must have a positive attitude and willingness to perform to the highest ability on a daily basis, have good organization and disciplined skills, be guest focused and passionate about being part of something great and making a difference.