Green River Preserve is hiring an experienced fly fishing instructor for our summer season.
Located on a 3,400-acre wildlife preserve in Western North Carolina, GRP is a coed summer camp connecting children to nature. We are open to hiring either a residential or commuting instructor.
The fly fishing instructor’s primary responsibility is to lead two hour-long sessions each afternoon in the basics of fly fishing. Because our camp aims to inspire environmental stewards, we hope our fly fishing instructor has a passion for stream ecology with some knowledge they can pass along to campers. Fly fishing classes range from complete beginner classes with seven-year-old campers to intermediate or advanced classes with 14-year-old campers, depending on the camp session. The instructor is responsible for setting up the activity area each day, planning the curriculum, and cleaning up at the end of the afternoon.
A residential instructor would have be busy each day of our summer season, but a commuting instructor would have a schedule like this:
- Staff Training, May 26 – June 5: Attend various staff training sessions and community building events
- One-Week Camp, June 8 – 13: Afternoons Monday – Thursday
- Two-Week Camp, June 15 – 26: Afternoons Monday – Thursday, with a daylong workshop on the second Friday
- Three-Week Camp, June 29 – July 15: Afternoons Monday – Thursday, with 3 daylong workshops scattered throughout
- Two-Week Camp, July 20 – July 30: Afternoons Monday – Thursday, with a daylong workshop on the second Friday
- One-Week Camp, August 3 – 7: Afternoons Monday – Thursday
- Applicants must be 24 years of age or older.
- Must have passion, expertise, and experience in teaching children in an outdoor environment.
- A background in natural resources or environmental science/education is preferred, but not necessary.
- Must commit to our full season, which runs from May 26 to August 7, 2020. Please only apply if you can make that commitment.
To apply, please use the following link to our online application: https://greenriver.campintouch.com/ui/forms/application/staff/App/
To learn about our philosophy, and see other available positions, please visit our website. http://www.greenriverpreserve.org/work
Job Types: Full-time, Part-time, Temporary, Internship
Salary: $300.00 to $400.00 /week
- fly fishing: 2 years (Required)
- outdoor education: 1 year (Preferred)
- United States (Required)
- One location
- 1 – 3 months