The Orvis Retail Store Manager is the business and cultural leader of the store team, responsible for achieving sales goals, customer satisfaction, and profitability growth as well as understanding, practicing, and being a strong proponent of the Orvis brand and the company culture. The Store Manager is a retail professional role model in attitude and appearance skilled in the art of communication and customer service, who has the ability to teach these skills to the team and ultimately lead by example.
Each of our retail stores is unique, and the successful Store Manager must be able to understand and tailor the Orvis brand presentation to the space and floor plan of the individual store using demonstrated talent in visual presentation of merchandise.
About the Company
In 1856, Charles F. Orvis founded the Orvis Company in Manchester, Vermont, offering superior fly-fishing equipment, and priding himself on customer satisfaction and service. Today, Orvis is the trusted source of discovery and adventure in the natural world. For more than a century and a half we have loved the wild, explored it, and protected it. At our core we are a fly-fishing and wingshooting brand, inspired by nature, driven by curiosity, and fulfilled by adventure. We are proud to own, use, and share our offerings in distinctive clothing for men and women, home furnishings, gifts, and dog products. Each product and the services we offer is rooted in our heritage, inspired by our love of the wild, and backed by superior customer service and a 100% guarantee of satisfaction.
We offer a comprehensive employee benefits package that includes medical, vision, and dental coverage, a generous merchandise discount, and an employer-matched 401(K) savings plan. Orvis is an equal-opportunity employer.
This position reports to a District Manager. Position will interface on a daily basis with store associates and regularly with the District Manager, the Director of Retail Stores, the Director of Retail Operations, Human Resources, Retail Merchants and Planners, Retail Marketing, Accounting, and Orvis Service Center associates.
Performance will be evaluated on the position responsibilities and on the financial measurements of the retail store based on established standards and goals.
- Subscribe to the highest customer service standards, and provide a personal example for the team of a true retail professional at all times;
- Understand Orvis policy and procedures, adhere to them, and ensure compliance by the team;
- Be an ambassador of the brand and instill the Orvis Vision, Mission, Core Values, and Culture in the entire team;
- Communicate the Orvis brand and its lifestyle through creative and effective presentations, maintain visual standards, emphasize key product/corporate directed messages, and maximize sell-thru by product placement and signage;
- Ensure financial goals are achieved;
- Recruit, interview, hire, develop, coach, and train store associates to deliver sales and customer service objectives;
- Respond to and communicate with alarm company;
- Make bank deposits.
- Minimum of three years store management experience;
- Proven track record of building and leading effective teams from recruiting through retention;
- Excellent retail business acumen including selling skills, visual presentation, and sales analysis;
- Strong background in payroll planning and scheduling;
- Flexibility in personal time commitments to do what is necessary based on the needs of the business and the development of themselves and the team through continued Orvis training and cultural education;
- Up-to-date computer skills with the aptitude to learn and utilize business programs and the ability to teach these programs to the team;
- Physical strength to reach, move, and handle merchandise in high and low areas, and the stamina to execute floor sets;
- Physical ability to be on feet (standing/walking) for extended periods of time;
- Ability to receive and process large shipments of merchandise daily as well as implement and oversee the efficient organization of inventory flow.
- Specialty retail experience;
- College degree.