We firmly believe that the only way for Orvis to achieve its vision, is to have a company culture that is supportive and inspires the individuals who will get us there. Our associates take pride in our world-class service and products, treating customers, vendor partners, and each other with integrity and mutual respect. We work in a supportive, team-oriented environment, focusing on performance, continuous improvement, and exceeding our customers’ expectations.
The Orvis Company and our associates are committed to giving back to our communities and protecting nature. We invite and inspire associates to connect with the adventure and wonder of the outdoor world. Come join us in a life outdoors. We believe the most meaningful experiences are created by sharing the love of nature and being inspired by its endless possibilities.
The Reel Mounting Operator will work in the Picking Department, specifically tying and winding fly-line to fly fishing reels. In this position, this individual will be expected to learn all functions related to Reel Mounting, as well as cross trained in the Picking Department.
Who you will be working with:
This position reports to the Picking Supervisor and closely interacts with Inbound and Outboard departments
How we will measure success:
- Productivity – measured in quantity of items per hour
- Quality – measured as errors (product damages, failing to follow customer order requests, etc.)
What you will be working on:
- Tie specialized knots in order to connect fly-lines to reels.
- Operate the reel winder.
- Learn and adhere to departmental Standard Operating Procedures manual.
- Ensure accuracy of tasks performed; attention to detail.
- Properly maintain, clean and protect from damage assigned equipment.
- Produce quality product for customer satisfaction.
- Communicate discrepancies and/or problems to Lead Associate and/or Picking Supervisor.
- Work well with little or no direct supervision.
- Maintain safe, clean and orderly work space by following all safety policies and procedures.
- Dependability; maintain attendance per policy.
- Work flexible hours on short notice, as customer demand indicates to deliver “World Class” customer service.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Skills that will be important in this role:
- Preferred experience operating a reel winder.
- Preferred experience in high volume distribution center.
- Preferred knowledge of a radio frequency scanner gun.
- Fine motor dexterity; be able to learn to tie complicated knots.
- Match colors.
- Read a measuring tape.
- Speak, read and write English.
- Good math skills.
- Computer keyboard experience.
- Be able to stand and/or walk for long period of time on concrete floors, as well as, able to climb stairs/steps.
- Work in a warehouse that is not climate controlled; environment includes dust, varying cold, hot and humid temperatures.
- Manual dexterity; ability to reach; able to bend and move with agility.
- Ability to lift and move up to 50 lbs.
- Strong teamwork.
- High school diploma/GED.
- Fly-fishing experience and a passion for the sport, a plus.
About Orvis – http://orvis.com/
In 1856, Charles F. Orvis founded the Orvis Company in Manchester, Vermont, offering superior fly-fishing equipment, and priding himself on customer satisfaction and service. Today, Orvis is the trusted source for the discovery of adventure and the wonder in the natural world. For more than a century and a half we have loved the wild, explored it, and protected it. At our core, we are a fly-fishing and wingshooting brand, inspired by nature, driven by curiosity, and fulfilled by adventure. We are the world leader in fly fishing, but our passion for nature and the outdoors fully extend to our offerings in a wide assortment of men’s and women’s sportswear, fine gifts and home furnishings, luggage, and travel accessories. We are an industry leader in dog beds and innovative dog products. Our culture of “We Love Dogs” inspires us to be a central source of education and information for all dog lovers. We offer fine shotguns, gear, and technical apparel for wingshooting and sporting clays, and Orvis sporting services also include fishing and shooting schools, an international sporting and eco-travel agency, the Orvis-endorsed network of lodges, outfitters, and guides, and Orvis-endorsed hunting dog trainers and breeders. Each product and the services we offer is rooted in our heritage, inspired by our love of the wild, and backed by superior customer service and a 100% guarantee of satisfaction.
Privately owned by the Perkins family since 1965, Orvis is headquartered in beautiful Southwestern Vermont with major operations in Roanoke, Virginia and the United Kingdom. Today Orvis is an international, multi-channel retailer with approximately 1,700 employees. Our award-winning website, orvis.com, offers more than 5,000 products with 32 million visits/year. The company mails more than 44 catalog editions each year with a total annual circulation in excess of 45 million. As of 2017, Orvis has 70 retail stores and 10 outlets in the US, and 18 retail stores in the UK. Our wholesale division services more than 500 independent dealers worldwide. The Orvis blog (orvis.com/news) offers a wide variety of editorial and educational content to more than 2.5 million visitors per year, with extensive articles and videos about fly fishing, wingshooting, dogs, conservation, and more. Our Learning Center (howtoflyfish.orvis.com) provides the most comprehensive collection of online videos and resources devoted to teaching the world how to fly fish.
At Orvis, we firmly believe in a company culture that is supportive and inspiring to the individual. It is inherent that Orvis create a workplace atmosphere that allows all our employees to reach their maximum success within the company. Orvis strives to have a workplace where associates will come to work every day being fully engaged in helping the company meet its goal of exceptional customer service while producing profits necessary to be successful long-term. Orvis offers competitive compensation commensurate with scope of responsibilities and experience required; plus a comprehensive benefits package including medical/dental/vision coverage, life insurance, 401K with a company match, generous Associate Discounts, and other excellent benefits.
Come join us in a life outdoors. We believe the most meaningful experiences are created by sharing the love of nature and being inspired by its endless possibilities.