About the Company
In 1856, Charles Orvis founded the Orvis Company in Manchester, Vermont, offering the finest fly-fishing equipment, and priding himself on customer satisfaction and service. Today, along with our world-famous fly-fishing gear, Orvis offers distinctive clothing, home furnishings, gifts, and dog products. Each item is rooted in our heritage of authenticity and the outdoors and is backed with a no-questions-asked guarantee. As the longest-running mail order business in the United States and with our flagship retail store located in the same Vermont village as the original store since 1856, we offer experience and knowledge that no other retail company can. Each day we strive to apply what we know and learn to bring our customers even better service and products tomorrow.
We have a comprehensive employee benefits package that offers medical, vision, and dental coverage, and an employer-matched 401(K) savings plan. We extend a generous merchandise discount. Orvis is an equal-opportunity employer.
The position reports directly to the Rod Shop Director and will interact daily with other Rod Shop associates. This position will collaborate with management teams for planning, repair, development, and production.
- Be an ambassador of the Brand and embody the Orvis Vision, Mission, Core Values, and Culture;
- Inspect and grade bamboo segments;
- Conduct all aspects of rod building, including setting and tapering rod segments on a cam milling machine, finishing mill tip and butt sections on a Morgan bamboo hand-mill, and matching, fitting, and joining sections;
- Conduct all aspects of rod assembly and repair, including grading and selecting finished joints, mounting and fitting ferrules, and mounting tip top, reel seat and grip;
- Ensure rods meet specification, and the highest quality standards by careful and meticulous inspection at every step;
- Monitor bamboo rod repair parts inventory;
- Process production and repair transactions via NetSuite and Smartsheet.Required Qualifications:
- Fly-fishing experience;
- Knowledge of fly-rod components and understanding of fly-rod engineering;
- 3-5 years’ experience in fine craftsmanship;
- Physical ability to bend and move with agility, lift and carry up to 30 lbs., and sit or stand for extended periods of time;
- Ability to use all hand tools and power machinery required in the bamboo-building process;
- Excellent hand-eye coordination and manual dexterity as well as the ability to make precise measurements.Desired Qualification:
- Experience in fly-rod manufacturing, with an emphasis on bamboo rods.